Going for an adventure won’t be complete without carrying adventure equipment such as helmet, bike, tent, and many more. Therefore, you must consider rooftop cargo carrier placement to get the best function of the cargo carrier so that you will have an enjoyable journey.
To install a rooftop cargo carrier in a place, you have to know the right procedure if you want to install it by yourself. Consult to the staff manufacturer about the instruction in the book guidance if you don’t understand a step. Other way, you can bring your car to the workshop and ask the mechanic do it for you. This is quite costly.
Herein, save your money and do the installation by yourself. This article is coming to present the installation procedure so that you will have the right rooftop cargo carrier placement. Read every step in the procedure and follow all of the instructions.
Filling the Cargo Carrier
The first step you should accomplish to place a rooftop cargo carrier in its right position is filling the cargo carrier. The steps are as follows:
- Clean the car top as clean as possible. This is very important to avoid dust or water drop.
- Lay down the clean matt, too.
- Place the cargo carrier on the clean roof and on the protective mat. Pay attention to the side and avoid the zipper which is facing the front side of the car. Avoid the logo facing the back of the car, too.
- Place the front part of cargo carrier at least 8 inches behind the front edge of the roof.
- Minimize the wind blowing noise and improve the gas mileage for sure.
- Next is to open the zipper and fill the cargo carrier while it is on the car’s roof to avoid the heavy lifting if you fill it before you install it on the car’s roof.
- Fill the cargo carrier as full as possible since the fuller carrier will make your driving smoother.
- If you bring sharp items, cushion them to avoid fabric damage.
- Close the zipper completely until the two zippers meet at the back parts of the carrier. In this way, make sure you don’t leave a gap between the zipper puller. Otherwise, some rain drops may enter your cargo carrier.
- Fasten the straps and adjust the length by pulling the free straps ends part.
- Avoid the straps flapping by tucking the free ends under the straps.
Tips For Cargo Carrier’s Trouble-Free
When you are done with the rooftop cargo carrier placement, it doesn’t mean that you will be free from any trouble. You may face some troubles while you are driving in the corner or some troubles related to the road and weather condition.
Here are the tips to get rid of any trouble that may obstruct you:
- Fill your cargo carrier as full as possible or almost full to avoid the fabric delaminating which is caused by the flapping wind.
- When you strap the cargo carrier, don’t leave any loose creases in the fabric. The loose creases tend to flap in the wind and causes noise. It also causes the gas millage lower and the fabric gets damaged. In this case, you may use extra strap to hold tightly any loose creases.
- Make sure the attachment is firm during the travel. It is suggested that you don’t attach the straps to rain gutter, to a corner which is visible from the cars outside especially when the doors are closed.
- Avoid water entry into your car as well as into your cargo carrier.
Conclusively, you need two main points to consider the rooftop cargo carrier placement. Those are the installation process which includes the filling cargo carrier and the tips for cargo carrier trouble-free. If you have the right way of the rooftop cargo carrier placement, I am sure you will have an enjoyable journey during a long drive.