If your trailer is often giving you a hard time, especially with the uncontrollable rocking and wobbling, then you are likely in a need of a reliable hitch tightener. The tightener is designed for bike racks, hitch racks, trailer ball mounts, and cargo carriers so they will stay in their place with as minimum wobble as possible.
Also known as the hitch immobilizer or anti-rattle hitch or hitch stabilizer, this item generally comes as the U-bolt construction with a thick plate to secure the hitch (along with the trailer) on its place. The U-bolt is generally made from stainless steel that is designed for the heavy duty usage. The plate is generally made from a thick plate with powder coating finish. Both of them are designed with tough and solid construction to face the harsh weather and also the heavy loads. The construction should be solid because users want their trailer not to move so much or even rattle when used.
So, how does this tightener work, anyway? The basic mechanism is pretty easy, really. You only need to slide the U-bolt on the stinger and then slide the plate to the bolt. After you are done with it, you only need to tighten it so it will remain firm and secure. In general, the tightener also includes the hardware for the tightening. The tightener itself is pretty flexible too. In case the ground clearance is pretty low, it can be mounted and secured from the bottom area.
Top-Rated Hitch Tightener
Some people may not be familiar with the hitch tightener but you will be surprised to know that there are different variants and types of the devices out there. It is also a good thing that there are several options of the tightener out there to make your options easier and simpler.
Hitch Clamp Cross Clamp 2″ Heavy Duty
A good quality tightener doesn’t have to be expensive just to be functional. Of course, it would be great if you can choose the quality one, but you want something that is long lasting and durable. This is one tightener that is pretty sturdy and solid. Most users claim that the device is super thick so you can be sure about the quality construction. And the greatest thing about this is device is the fact that it costs you less than $30.
When you have this tightener, you can expect the rattle, sway, and wobble to reduce significantly. If you are often dealing with the noisy operation and the constant worry about the trailer, this tightener will give you a peace of mind. Another thing to like about this device is its flexibility to match perfectly with all kinds of mounted cargo carriers or bike racks. The design is simple with also simple use – you don’t even have to remove the hitch to install it. The device is able to deliver a stable outcome where you only need to install it and voila! Your trailer will be firmly secured within a balanced stance. No need to worry about the overall result, really.
- Eliminates the wobble, sway or rattle between your hitch and receiver
- Designed for use with most hitch mounted bike racks and cargo cariers
Tulga Fifth Wheel Co 2 Packs Anti Rattle Hitch Tightener Stabilizer No Sway
There are tons of things to like about this tightener, as you wouldn’t have probably thought that such a device can be so packed and complete and sophisticated. For a starter, this is a device that will match will any receiver as long as you are using the 2 inches or the 1.25 inches of hitch receivers. It is also compatible with all kinds of hitch classes, and most perfect for hitches on trailers, RVs, trucks, SUVs, and vans. The tightener is made from stainless steel for heavy-duty work, which will ensure the long-lasting use, no matter the weather condition or climate.
Despite the sturdy design and tough construction, this device is pretty simple and even easy to install. It is hassle-free and you should be able to install the device easily even if you have never done this before. This is a great device for beginners, and it will certainly improve the safety factor of your trailer or RV. No more wobble or shaking – and definitely no more noisy rattling sound that can make you go crazy. This is a device that is worth your money, especially with the 30 days warranty. So, you won’t regret a thing!
- [Compatibility] Hitch tightener can be used with 2" and 1.25" tow hitch receivers，including Curt, Rola, Yakima, Inno, Draw-Tite, Blue Ox, Hidden Hitch, Thule, Tulga, U-Haul and other brands. It is compatible with all hitch classes includes I, II, III, and IV (1, 2, 3 and 4), both 2" and 1.25" models, ideal for hitches on SUV's, vans, trucks, RV's, sedans and trailers.
- [Material] Includes a heavy-duty stainless steel U-bolt and thick powder coated plate that will last to all weather conditions and loads.
Softride Quiet Ride Locking Tightening Hitch Pin
If the previous device seems like a universal hitch tightener, it means that you have never used this device from this brand before. Besides being compatible with all kinds of receivers, this one is also compatible with different brands, hitches, and ball hollow shank mounts. You can be sure that it works great with names such as Swagman, Kuat, Rocky Mounts,Curt, TorkLift, and Draw-Tite.
If you are looking for a device that can reduce the vibration as well as eliminate the rattle, this flexible anti-theft accessory and also anti-rattle item will be able to do its work just perfectly. Even when you are dealing with the heavy load, you should be able to reduce the sway and wobble, and you won’t have to be discouraged by the side motions or up and down movements. This is also a tough cookie, perfect for all kinds of items such as cargo (or even boat) trailer, SUV, bicycle rack, fifth wheel, tow vehicle, RV, and truck. It comes with an extra long pin that will match perfectly to all kinds of hitches. Besides the easy installation, you should also expect a complete kit which includes rubber dust cover, brass keys and locks, rugged fit adjuster and nut holder, and also lock washer.
- Compatible with hitch receivers, hollow shank ball mounts, and multiple brands of hitch mounted bike racks, including Thule, Yakima, Saris, Kuat, Rocky Mounts, Swagman, Hollywood, Allen, and Inno. and hitches from manufacturers including Curt, Reese, Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, TorkLift, and Ultra-Fab
- Eliminate the annoying rattle and vibration when towing by using this versatile anti rattle anti theft accessory, compatible across brands. Anti rattle hitch tightener reduces wobble; stops movement, play, and sway; eliminates the clank noise. Halts up and down and side to side motion; prevent drawbar rattling and wobbling under load.
StowAway Hitch Tightener with Hitch Lock
If you take a look at the design, you will see something very simple and yet also rugged and tough. This is another tightener that will help you with your trailer. Forget about the rattle or the sway. Forget about the annoying noise. If you have this one in your possession, you won’t have to worry about anything. Feel free to cruise down the road, no matter how bumpy or how bad it is; you won’t have to worry that your trailer may come off and you will be dealing with a chaotic mess.
There are tons of things to like about this tightener. The design is pretty simple and yet you can also tell that it is very rugged and solid. Not many tighteners are coming with such a condition. Many of them don’t really look promising because they look weak and flimsy. Well, if you have this device from StowAway Carriers, you won’t have to worry about a thing. Besides the tough and buff construction, you can also depend on the simplicity in the operation. It is easily installed and used, so no need to worry that you may break a sweat for the installation and the removal. You can also tell that it is one device that won’t easily break.
- Hitch Tightener prevents hitch wobble for racks and trailers
- Easy Installation
Roadmaster 061 Quiet Hitch
This Quiet Hitch from Roadmaster is a tough device that can be easily inserted between the tow bar and the receiver. As the result, you can expect seamless and solid connection – and you won’t have to worry about any jiggle, wobble, sway, or rattle problems anymore. You will have the freedom to tag along anything behind your car and not to worry that it will create a creaking sound that is chilling to the bone. A lot of users claim that with such a small and simple device, they are no longer worried when making sudden maneuvers or going through the curves and crosswinds.
The tightener can also help you reduce the tire wear, on the hitch, the receiver, and yours. If you have to do multiple hitch extensions, this one will help a lot. Besides the free play that will get you on your nerves because of the wobble and sway, this device can also reduce the noise – mostly caused by the accessories. Simple and easy use is one of its winning elements – you can bolt it in seconds only. Aren’t you going to try it for yourself and see how your driving with the trailer improves?
Red Hound Auto 2 Hitch Tightener Brackets
The simple design is mostly liked about a quality tightener, and you can definitely expect such a perfection from this product, made by Red Hound Auto. This is a device that will work well with 125 inches or 2 inches of receivers, especially with most hitch racks, hitch carriers, and also ball mounts. The design is super simple and yet it is able to help you eliminate any fuss or problem with the trailer hitch. Once you set it done (which happens only within seconds; the longest only takes minutes), you can start your journey. No more driving fuss anymore!
The tightener comes with anti-slip feature and the solid brackets that can be easily strengthened by the simple hardware. Once it is installed, it will prevent the sway, rattle, and wobble between the hitch receiver and the rack or carrier. The plate is pretty tough and solid with ¼ inches thick and 3-15/16 inches (and also 2-13/16 inches) measurements. The U-bolt itself is quite long and wide with 3 inches in width and 4 inches in length. The cool thing about this product is that you only pay one and get yourself two items. Don’t you think that it is quite a bargain?
- (2) Anti-Slip Hitch Tightening Brackets with Hardware
- Designed for either 2" or 1.25" receivers, works with most ball mounts and hitch racks and carriers
Hitch Tightener for 1.25″ and 2″ Hitches
If you take a look at the design only, you will see a simple and yet quite attractive hitch tightener. Don’t you think so? The design is fuss-free and it is pretty straightforward and yet there is a sense of elegance that you can find here, and not on other tighteners. This would be your answer when you have to deal with clanking, jerking, rocking, and banging resulted from the uneven loading, sloppy fitting receiver, and bad road condition. if this happens to you quite often, you want a quieter and smoother driving and carrying experience, right? Well, you can achieve it with the right items, and this one from Mission Automotive should be able to deliver a pleasing result.
Another thing to like about this tightener is the quality design and its sturdiness. It is made from galvanized steel that will deliver heavy-duty use. It is resistant to rust and it can handle all kinds of weather and condition. Is it perfect for the outdoor use? You bet it is! Not only this tightener is coming with the solid design but it is also long-lasting. You won’t be able to compromise the thickness.
- Stops wobbling, rocking, banging, clanking and jerking caused by sloppy/ill-fitting receivers and uneven loading, providing a smooth and quiet towing or carrying experience. Proudly made in the USA
- Easily installs with Class I, II, III or IV (1, 2, 3 or 4) hitches that measure either 1.25" or 2" (will not work on a 2.5" or larger hitch). Powder-coated, heavy-duty galvanized steel means it will never rust
Reteck Hitch Tightener Stainless Steel
There aren’t many brands or names that are willing to provide the lifetime warranty, but Reteck is willing to do so – mostly because they are sure about their quality of production and also design. This tightener will deal with your wobbly and noisy trailer, making sure that not only your trailer is secured firmly, it will also reduce the sway and the clatter. It certainly gives you a peace of mind because you no longer have to excessively be worried if the trailer is moving too much or you may make a lot of clatters.
The design is pretty simple and straightforward. The U-bolt if made from the stainless steel so it is thick and solid. The plate is thick with powder coating system so it is rust resistant. When you buy this one, you will get a complete package and it includes flat washers as well as spring lock washer – they are functional to tighten the hitch securely on its place. As long as you follow the directions, you should be good to go. If you want to, you can also mount it from the bottom – it is super flexible and handy, right?
- Anti-rattle hitch tightener was designed to completely eliminate hitch noise, wobble, rattle and hitch movement for cargo carriers, hitch receiver, trailer ball mounts, bike racks, hitch racks, etc. Enjoy your quiet towing experience
- Great ideal for hitchs on trucks, suv's, vans, RV's and trailers. Easily installs with Class I, II, III or IV (1, 2, 3 or 4) hitches that measure either 1.25" and 2" (will not work on 2.5" or larger hitch)
Hitch Titan Hitch Tightener Anti-Rattle Hitch Pin Reduces Noise and Swaying
Do you often hear the annoying rattle or the continuous clicking-clacking sound when you are towing the RV or the boat? It means that you will need this tightener, which will make sure that your trailer (or any towed items) will be firmly attached to your car without too much swaying or movement. In fact, when properly installed and managed, such a simple item can help you with the noise and make your trailer even look better!
The tightener can also make your travel safer. With less bouncy effects, you won’t have to worry about the tear and wear – which will definitely happen if such a thing continues to happen. One of the things to like about this device is the easy and also fast installation. Will you need to hire a pro? No need to! The U-bolt can be easily slipped in between the receiver and the hitch, and then you slide the plate and tighten it. It is simple and hassles free. Most users claim that they are ready to start their journey in within 10 minutes only! This one comes with a year warranty. It speaks volumes of the quality of the tightener and the sturdy design.
- Prevent Hitch Rattle: Tired of hearing the annoying click-clack when towing your boat or RV? So are the drivers you share the road with. The Hitch Titan eliminates that relentless clatter and features a sleek, discrete design, making your trailer sound as good as it looks!
- Safer Travels: While it's always important to use safe towing practices, the Hitch Titan can help make your journey a little safer! Designed for use with 1.25" and 2" tow hitch receivers, it lessens bouncing, swaying and trailer accessory movement while in transit.
Guides to Buy a Hitch Tightener
What People Are Saying
When you access the reviews sections, you will see that different people will have different opinions and feedbacks about the device. In the overall retrospect, though, you can be sure that the hitch tightener is designed for a reason, and it packs up a lot of beneficial features.
- Most of these products are coming very simple and easy installation. You only need a minimum tool to tighten the nuts and bolts. Within only minutes, you should be free to hit the road without any fuss or hassle.
- The tightener may seem like a small piece of item, but you’d be surprised to know that such a small item can pack a lot of benefits and functionalities. It IS able to deal with the wobbly movements and annoying noise. When you are towing the trailer or other accessory racks, you will have to drive carefully because the movement can cause the trailer to sway so wildly. With this tightener, you won’t have to worry about such a thing anymore. As the name suggests, the tightener will secure the hitch on its place so less movement can be made. It is super functional and handy, especially if you like to tow your trailer on weekends.
- The tightener is generally made with the standard sizing and measurement, which means that they will fit nicely with the receivers or ball mounts. You want a tightener that can be installed with any brand or products, and you don’t want something that requires a complicated procedure or such thing alike.
- The product is generally made from a sturdy and solid material, such as stainless steel. With proper care and maintenance, such an item can last forever. Not to mention that some products are coming with a special coating that will enable them to free from rust or to handle different kinds of weather (or condition) just solidly.
- The customer service is reliable and nice. After all, you want to get the best service that is worth your spending. If the customer support is useless or being unfriendly, it would be useless, right?
- The delivery is fast and fusses free. You want to consult a service that enables you to get your hands on the product right away.
Hitch Tightener Pros & Cons
Despite all of the benefits and positive feedbacks that you can get from the hitch tightener, don’t expect the item to be 100% perfect. After all, there is no such a thing as the perfect item. Be prepared to deal with the flaws and possible downsides.
- A lot of people claim that the quality of the products is quite impressive. It is solid and durable. The tightener may be small but it is thick and each part is made from quality construction – you can tell.
- Most of the products are coming with very easy use and installation. With the combination of simple design and fuss-free operation, you can always install it within seconds only – the longest will be in minutes.
- The tightener is durable – some are even coming with a rust-free feature so you can use it in any kinds of weather and condition
- The performance is super well, able to significantly reduce the rattle and noise.
- Some of them have friendly and super responsive customer support, which is nice. It is an extra perk that can be surprising – in a positive way.
- Some products don’t seem to come with the right measurement or standard sizing. Although they are claimed to pair well with other brands, they don’t seem to fit.
- Some products are quite flimsy. After several weeks of use in the rough condition, the tightener simply falls off.
- Some products don’t seem to install easily. You will have to consult the manual so you can properly install it.
- Some of the products are quite costly although it is worth the quality. If you don’t mind the spending, you won’t have problems with it, anyway
Hitch Tightener Buying Guide
With so many different types of tightener out there, it is so easy to get confused about which product to choose. No need to worry, though, because you can always make use of these handy tips – they will help you manage an easier purchase and minimize the possibility of mistakes.
- Easy use or installation. Nobody likes the fussy and complicated device. Even if a device is proven to be super sophisticated and advanced, it may not appeal to everyone – because the majority of users are looking for the easy installation and use. When you are looking for a reliable tightener, you want to be sure that it is easy to use. What’s the point of having a super sophisticated item when you have to fumble with it for more than 20 minutes. It’s not worth the time and also the efforts, trust me. In general, you want the tightener that can easily slide to its place and then topped off with the plate for the tighter security.
- Solid construction with a simple device. Simplicity doesn’t always mean a bad thing. If you are able to combine tough and solid construction with the simple design, you can get yourself a great bargain. As it was mentioned before, the U-block is one of the easiest and simplest design. This is a favorite type of design because everyone can operate it!
- A premium construction design. The tightener is designed so that your trailer won’t be so wobbly or rattling, isn’t it? Imagine if you are dealing with a flimsy device that easily breaks or damaged. Not only you are wasting money on the purchase, but you will also compromise the safety of the trailer. Sure, a lot of people may say, “But it’s only a tightener, not a lock or a protector for the trailer.” Still, would you buy something if you know that it is going to cost you money, time, and efforts?
- Flexible operation and use. Some of the products are made with solid quality, designed to match all kinds of hitch types or brands. You want somewhat a ‘universal’ item that can pair greatly with different kinds of models or classes. Some of these products have the quite impressive quality where they are coming with standard measurement – if this is the case, you won’t have to worry about the different types or variants that you use because you can be sure that the tightener will match perfectly.
- Compatibility with all kinds of elements. Don’t you love it when your tightener can work together with all kinds of vehicles, such as campers, SUVs, minivans, vans, RVs, trucks, and sedans? Don’t you love it when the tightener can be used with the hidden hitch, ball town hitch, front hitch, hitch adapters, and hitch extenders from various names and brands?
- Budget-friendly cost. Make no mistake: not all expensive items are better than the inexpensive ones. You just have to adjust your budgets with the quality materials and also performance offered by each brand or item. It would be wise if you can think about how much money you are willing to spend for the tightener and work your way through it – you can save for later purchase or you can choose the cheaper product. It is all up to you.
In the end, the decision to buy the tightener totally depends on your preference and personal option. Some people may have no problems with the noise or the rattle or the jiggle, but for some, it is a huge deal. Be sure that the tightener will be able to solve your problems when traveling, and you won’t have to deal with any wild swaying or bouncing of the trailer. With these products as the candidates, you shouldn’t have any problem narrowing your option to one product. Be sure that the hitch tightener will eliminate the annoying rattle and noise in the simplest manner.
Last update on 2019-01-19 at 04:30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API